When the Deleted Items folder is emptied or individual messages are deleted from the Deleted Items folder in Outlook 2010, they are generally stored on the server for at least 28 days and can still be recovered by users during that period. Items held in your Deleted Items folder can be moved to any other folder in Outlook.
Recovering items deleted from the Deleted Items folder
To recover items after the Deleted Items folder is emptied:
1. In the Outlook Navigation pane, click on Inbox to select it.
2. On the Ribbon, click on Folder | Recover Deleted Items.
The Recover Deleted Items window appears. Once items have been removed from the Deleted Items folder, it may take a few minutes for them to appear in this list.
Please note: Items are listed in order of the date and time they were deleted, starting with the oldest. To make it easier to find the item(s) you want to recover, you can change the sort order by clicking on the name of the heading you want to sort by. For example, to sort by the item's sender, click on the From heading to sort the list in A-Z order. Click the same heading a second time to sort the list in reverse order by that heading. Use the scroll bar to see any columns hidden by the right edge of the window.
3. Click on the item you wish to retrieve.
Please note: You can retrieve more than one item.
click on the first item, hold down the SHIFT key and click on the last item.
click on the first item, hold down the CTRL key and click on additional items.
click on the Select All button
4. Click on the Recover Selected Items button.
Please note: Recovered items are placed in the Inbox.
Moving messages between folders
If you have placed items in your Deleted Items folder by mistake, or want to move an item from one folder to any other, it is safest to do so by using the Move command rather than by dragging and dropping. (It is easy to ‘drop’ items into the wrong folder by mistake!)
To move items to another folder:
1. In the Outlook Navigation pane, click on the relevant folder to display that folder's contents.
2. Select the item(s) you want to move.
3. Right click on the selected item(s), click Move and select a folder for your selected item(s) to be moved to.
4. If the folder you wish to move the item to is not displayed, click on Other Folder... The Move Items dialog box appears.
5. Click on the folder you wish to move the item(s) to. Then click on the OK button