If you plan to be away from LSE for a period of time and will not access your email, you can switch on the Out of Office Assistant to manage your Inbox and automatically respond to incoming mail.
This can be done using Microsoft Outlook on campus or via the Web Email service from any location.
Using Microsoft Outlook on Campus
To activate the Out of Office Assistant from an LSE computer
1. From the Inbox, click on Tools | Out of Office Assistant to display the Out of Office Assistant dialog box.
2. In the AutoReply only once to each sender with the following textbox, type the information you wish to give to email senders.
3. Click on the I'm currently Out of the Office radio button to activate the Out of Office Assistant.
4. Click on the OK button.
Out of Office AutoReplies should never mention a holiday or similar reason for being unable to answer the message promptly. If you are a staff member, your text should contain the following types of information:
the date you will return to the office
if and when you will be accessing your email while you are away from the School
if possible, the name and contact details of a colleague who can deal with enquiries in your absence. Remember to confirm with your colleague that they agree to do this, and don't assume they will be able to deal with all your enquiries. If you cannot find a colleague to point to, include the next paragraph's information, as it is important that the School meets the deadline for information requests
make provision for requests for information as defined by the Freedom of Information Act or Data Protection Act or Environmental Information Regulations
I am currently out of the office and will be unable to answer emails until Monday 10th November 2005.
Please contact My Colleague (email email@example.com) if you have any urgent enquiries.
Alternately, if you have a request for information as defined by the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or Environmental Information Regulations, please contact the School's Freedom of Information Officer (email firstname.lastname@example.org) or check our Publications Scheme for information that is already available Freedom of Information (FoI)
Activating the Out of Office Assistant from Off Campus
Mailboxes can be accessed via the web from the LSE Home Page, or at http://exchange.lse.ac.uk
To use the Out of Office Assistant via the Web
1. On the LSE Home Page, (www.lse.ac.uk), click on the Web access to email link.
2. The page shown below will open: click on the Outlook Web Access box:
3. Enter your network username and password in the Connect to exchange.lse.ac.uk box.
4. Click on the OK button.
5. At the bottom of the navigation pane, click on the Options button.
6. In the AutoReply only once to each sender with the following text box, type the information you wish to give to email senders.
7. Click on the I'm currently Out of the Office radio button to turn on the Out of Office Assistant.
8. Click on the OK button.
Please see the guidance above on the information your AutoReply should contain.
You can also create rules that automatically manage incoming messages by telling Outlook what action to take with them. For example, you can create rules to automatically move or copy messages to other folders, to delete messages, to send custom replies, and so on.
For guidance on creating and managing such rules, please use the following link to open our guide on Creating Rules to Manage Your Email: http://ittraining.lse.ac.uk/Documentation/OnlineGuides/Email-Rules.htm