About the Contacts folder
The Contacts folder provides a central location for storing the names, addresses, telephone numbers and other information for your business and personal contacts.
A contact is a person or organisation you communicate with
The Outlook Contacts folder is a convenient place to enter, manage and track both School and external contacts
It is made up of entries containing information such as the contact's name, address, phone number and email and web addresses
Click on the Contacts button in Outlook's Navigation Pane to display the Contacts folder.
To create a new contact:
1. In the Standard toolbar, click on the New Contact button
or choose File | New Contact to display the Untitled Contact window
2. Enter the name and basic details of the contact, such as their business or home address and telephone numbers and notes.
3. Enter up to three email addresses:
If the contact is a member of the School, and you know their email address, you can type it in directly, using the format LastName,Initial
For example: Bloggs,J
If the contact is a member of the School, and you don't know their email address, click on the Address Book button to open the Select Names dialog box and search for it in the School's Global Address List.
Select the name in the usual way, as you would for an email message.
If the contact has an external email address, you can type it in directly, for example: Bloggs@home.net
4. Complete the New Contact window with the information you wish to store for that contact.
Note: Click on the Business button, to display the Check Address dialog box to enter the address correctly. Then click on the OK button.
5. To add another new contact immediately after creating the current one, click on the Save and New button on the toolbar
or choose File | Save and New to save and close the current Contact and to display another New Contact window.
6. When you have finished creating new contacts, click on the Save and Close button on the toolbar to close the New Contact dialogue box and return to the Contacts folder.
By default, your Contacts are displayed in Address Card view.
To edit a contact:
1. In the Contacts folder, double-click on the Address Card for the contact you wish to edit.
2. Update the information in the Contact window. Then click on the Save and Close button.
To delete a contact:
1. In the Contacts folder, click once on the contact you want to delete.
2. Click on the Delete button on the Standard toolbar.
To send an email to a contact:
1. In the Contacts folder, click once on the contact you wish to send an email to.
2. Click on the New Message to Contact button to display the New Message window, with the message automatically addressed to the contact you selected.
3. If the contact has more than one email address they will all be displayed in the email message address line. You can, if you wish, delete an address, by selecting and deleting it.
4. Complete the message like a normal email.
5. Click on the Send button or choose File | Send to send your message.
About Distribution Lists
An Outlook distribution list is a collection of email addresses that you create and add to your Contact's folder as one contact. The list can contain the email names of School members, external email addresses or both. When you address a message to a distribution list, the message is sent to each email address in the list.
Using Distribution Lists
Outlook Contacts provides a simple and flexible way to create and edit distribution lists. Distribution lists can have any number of members, who may be staff or students at the LSE, or others from outside the School. They can easily be edited to include new members or delete old ones. You can send email to all or selected members of a distribution list.
To create a distribution list:
1. On the Standard toolbar click on the New down-arrow and on the resulting menu click on Distribution List to display the Untitled Distribution List window.
2. In the Name box, type a name for the distribution list.
3. Click on the Select Members button to display the Select Members dialog box, allowing you to select members from the Global Address List and your Contacts folder.
4. Select a name to appear in your distribution list as you would in a normal email message, then click on the Members button.
5. To select names and other distribution lists from your Contacts folder, click on the Show Names from the list-arrow and select Contacts from the list.
6. When you have selected the names you require, click on the OK button to return to the distribution list window.
7. Click on the Add New button to display the Add New Member dialog box which will enable you to insert external addresses.
8. In the Display Name box, type the name of the new member.
9. In the E-mail address box, type their email address.
10. Tick the Add to contacts box if you would like to add this address to your Contacts folder. Then click on the OK button.
11. Click on the Save and Close button.
To send a message to a distribution list:
1. In the Contacts folder, click on the Distribution List you wish to send an email to.
2. Click on the New Message to Contact button to display a new message, automatically addressed to the Distribution List you selected.
3. Continue with your email message in the normal way.
Expand Distribution Lists
You can now expand a distribution list in order to edit the individual email addresses:
To expand a distribution list:
1. Create a new email message addressed to your chosen distribution list.2. Click on the plus sign (+) next to the name of the distribution list to show the individual email addresses, and then delete those you do not want the message to be sent to.
Note: Once you expand a distribution list, you cannot collapse the individual addresses back to the distribution list name.