Mapping a network drive allows you to connect to shared folders on the LSE network such as the P: drive or a folder shared by your department. By doing so, you can then view and create documents in that shared folder.
Mapping a drive with Windows 7
1. Click on the Start icon in the bottom left of your screen and select Computer
2. In the toolbar at the top of the window, select Map Network Drive
The Map Network Drive dialog box will appear
3. Click on the drop-down next to Drive: and select a letter you want to assign to the connection.
Please Note: When doing so you will notice that letters have already been assigned to other network connections; do not select a letter that has already been assigned
4. In the box adjacent to Folder: type the address of the shared network folder you want to access
It is likely that you will have to ask a colleague or the IT Service Desk for the address. It will be structured similar to the example shown below:
5. Click the Finish button. A dialog box will appear showing the content of the shared folder you have just connected to
The shared folder will now be accessible via the My Computer icon on your desktop and will remain there until you choose to disconnect from the folder. Each time you log onto your machine, the connection will be made and you will be able to access the folder.
Reviewed March 2015