Please note: Public folders will be decommissioned toward the end of 2013.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not yet heard from the project team and have concerns about this. See the Cloud Programme home page and FAQs for more information.
Public folders are used to collect, organise and share information with others in the School. They can be used to store any type of file or Outlook item, such as reading lists, PowerPoint presentations, lecture notes etc. Public folders are created and administered by academic departments, central administration and support services at the LSE and can be accessed by anyone who has the appropriate permission.
Displaying public folders using web access
To display public folders:
1. Go to the Web Access to Email and enter your username and password
2. In the navigation pane, click on the Public Folders icon. The Public Folders screen will appear
3. From the folder list, you can perform one of the following actions:
Click on the + next to a folder to display its sub-folders
Click on the - next to a folder to hide its sub-folders
If there is a folder and no + or - next to it, it does not contain sub-folders. It may however, contain files or messages
Opening an item in a public folder
To open an item in a public folder:
1. Once you have found the folder you want, click on it to display its contents in the right pane. If you have permission to view the folder, it will be displayed. The folder items might include Microsoft Office files, emails or postings
2. Double-click on an item in the right pane to open it. If the item contains an attachment a warning message will be displayed
3. If you are sure the contents are safe, click on either the Save or Open button. Once an item has been opened you can read and/or print the contents, or save the item using the File | Save As command.
Note: Public Folders can also be accessed using the Microsoft Outlook application on an LSE computer by Selecting Folder list from the Navigation Pane.
Reviewed September 2012