Last updated: 1st July 2014
Why are we updating email servers?
Our LSE email runs on Exchange, and is accessed via Outlook on your computer. Over Spring 2013 IMT upgraded all staff email servers to Exchange 2010, from Exchange 2003, as well as replacing all the old servers with new ones.
This made the email service much more stable as well as offering much better integration with Apple products, and also gave all staff a bigger mailbox.
What are the benefits for you?
Exchange 2010 works in a different way to 2003, and allows the team who manage the email service to provide 'replication' across different servers. This means that if something does go wrong with the server you are using to access your email, you can jump across to a different server and you can still work as normal. This isn’t possible with the version we are using at the moment.
Alongside this, staff mailbox size was increased to 1GB, which was a big improvement on the previous mailbox size. We would still like you to manage your email as best you can, because the more storage space we use, the bigger the back-up requirements, and it becomes quite costly. We’re all inundated with emails every day, but if you can keep on top of them, and delete what you don’t need on a regular basis then please do.
If you are using Apple products, you will know that there were issues with accessing your LSE emails. This upgrade provided much better integration and support for Apple products, such as iPhone and iPad.
What else do you need to know?
We have a list of FAQs that we will be frequently updating. If you’re having problems or anything unexpected happens with your email, it is worth checking here first to see if we already have some advice about that.
Still having problems with your email? We can help!
If you have any issues or problems at all, there are a number of support options available to you:
• For any general email related enquiry, please contact the IMT Service Desk on It.Servicedesk@lse.ac.uk or on x5000.
• For face-to-face IT enquiries:
- Location: Room S198, 1st Floor, St Clements Building
- Opening hours: 09:30 - 17:30, Monday to Friday
• If you are using a laptop and have any problems configuring your email on it, you can take it to the Laptop Surgery, which provides free advice and hands-on assistance connecting to LSE resources from off-site and connecting personally-owned laptop and mobile devices to the LSE network.
- Location: Room S198, 1st Floor, St Clements Building.
- Opening hours: usually from 10:00-16:00 during term time, but varies.
• We now offer specialised Apple support at the Apple Hour. If you are having email related problems on your Apple device (iPhone, iPad, Mac etc) then please come along to the Apple Hour for specialist help and support. Book your place here.
- Location: Room S198, 1st Floor, St Clements
- Opening hours: Every Tuesday, 14:00-15:00