1895 - LSE was founded as a result of a bequest to the Fabian Society of some £20,000 by Henry Hunt Hutchinson in 1894.
1912 - The support of Indian millionaire, Ratan Tata, helps to establish the department of Social Science and Administration, as he agrees to fund a research unit to investigate methods of preventing and relieving poverty.
Henry Hunt Hutchinson
LSE received substantial funding from the Rockefeller Foundation and was described as 'Rockefeller's baby'. Areas supported included the construction of new facilities, research, professorships and general endowment. LSE’s relationship with Rockefeller continues to date, most recently having received support for the Global Civil Society programme within the Civil Society and Human Security Research Unit.
1970 - American Friends of LSE was incorporated
1978 - Library Appeal raised over £2 million for initial conversion of WH Smith's warehouse to British Library of Political and Economic Science (BLPES) - now also known as the LSE Library - which came into use in 1978.
1979/1980 - The External Relations and Appeals Office was set up shortly after the end of the Library Appeal. Including the establishment of an Alumni Register.
Raised over £2.3 million for UK and overseas student scholarships. This lead to many overseas alumni groups being formed.
1989 - Butlers Wharf Appeal raises over £2 million for a student residence.
1993 - LSE Foundation established
1993 - Second Century Campaign began
1998 - Office renamed ODAR (Office of Development and Alumni Relations)
1998 - Annual Fund founded
1999 - LSE US office established
2001 - Campaign for LSE launched with a goal of raising £100 million
2001 - A second appeal for a further phase of redevelopment for the library closes with over £6 million from alumni, trusts, foundations and other friends of the School. The redeveloped library is opened by HRH Princess Anne.
2007 - Campaign ends having raised £105 million from over 12,000 alumni, friends, corporations and foundations in 90 different countries.
2008 - New Academic Building opened by the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, with £10 million raised towards the redevelopment by alumni, trusts, foundations and other friends of the School under the Campaign for LSE
2011 - The Benefactors' Board is unveiled in the front lobby of the Old Building. It initially details 37 high level donors who have made significant contributions to the School, and is updated annually.
2013 - The Department of Economics moves into its new home at 32 Lincoln's Inn Fields. The redevelopment of the former Land Registry building is supported by the Annual Fund as well as alumni, trusts, foundations and friends of LSE.
2014 - The first new building on campus for more than 40 years, the Saw Swee Hock Student Centre, opens, housing the Students' Union, LSE Careers and many more services. The development is backed by a landmark gift from an alumnus, after whom the building is named.
2014 - ODAR is renamed LSE Advancement to reflect the School's global vision for the office
2015 - A £30 million gift from philanthropist Paul Marshall – the largest private donation in LSE’s history – creates the Marshall Institute for Philanthropy and Social Entrepreneurship at LSE. It will be housed in the Paul Marshall Building, named in his honour in recognition of the landmark gift.