Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the difference between the MA and the MSc?

A: Depending on the candidate's choice of future career, it is sometimes more beneficial to have either a Master of Arts degree or a Master of Science degree. There is no difference to the teaching of the programme. It is the same.

Q: Does my first degree have to be in History?

A: We will consider applicants with good first degrees in any discipline and a commitment to the field covered by the MA/MSc.

Q: What is the minimum entry requirement by the department?

A: Upper second class degree or equivalent.

Q: Do I have to sit the GRE?

A: No.

Q: What level of proficiency is required in English?

A: TOEFL 627 (paper test); 263 (computer test) or IELTS 7.0 or 70% in the LSE test.

Q: Can I choose what options I take when I arrive?

A: In early June we will send out provisional course choice forms for students to complete. This form must be returned by post or email to the Postgraduate and Research Programme Manager within three weeks. This form is only provisional. During the first week of Michaelmas Term, students will have a chance to attend the first session of all the courses they are interested. On the basis of first-hand experience with class teachers and course materials, students will then make their final course choices online, using the LSE4U system.

Q: How long is the dissertation and what topic must it be on?

A: 10,000 words. The only formal limit on the choice of subject for the dissertation is that the subject must fall within the taught syllabus, and must be supervised by a member of staff in the Department of International History.

Q: Will I have to remain in London to complete my dissertation?

A: Many of our overseas students return home at the end of July and work on completing their dissertations at home. The dissertations must be handed in by the due date in September, but overseas candidates often submit these via a registered courier mail service.

Q: Will my master's qualification prepare me for PhD work?

A: This MA/MSc degree is a good preparation for a research degree.

Q: What sort of career will this degree prepare me for?

A: This degree provides excellent training in the field for related careers in government, the media, teaching, library and museum posts, politics, law and international business.

Q: Can I learn a language at the LSE?

A: The School has an excellent Language Centre which is available to all students.

Q: When will I find out my examination results?

A: Normally at the end of November, either via the Student Services Notice Board or the LSE For You. The Department does not supply this information. Transcripts will also be sent out by the School rather than the Department.