The SAGE Handbook of Feminist Theory (eds) Mary Evans, Clare Hemmings, Marsha Henry, Hazel Johnstone, Sumi Madhok, Ania Plomien and Sadie Wearing (2014)
At no point in recorded history has there been an absence of intense, and heated, discussion about the subject of how to conduct relations between women and men. This Handbook provides a comprehensive guide to these omnipresent issues and debates, mapping the present and future of thinking about feminist theory. The chapters gathered here present the state of the art in scholarship in the field, covering: epistemology and marginality; literary, visual and cultural representations; sexuality; macro and microeconomics of gender; conflict and peace. It is an essential reference work for advanced students and academics not only of feminist theory, but of gender and sexuality across the humanities and social sciences.
It is an essential reference work for advanced students and academics not only of feminist theory, but of gender and sexuality across the humanities and social sciences.
Rethinking Agency: Developmentalism, Gender and Rights by Sumi Madhok (2013)
Through an ethnography of the normative and political trajectory of developmentalism and rights in NW India, Rethinking Agency: Developmentalism, Gender and Rights proposes a new theoretical framework for conceptualising agency and coercion. It tracks the ‘life trajectories of developmentalism’ and in particular the processes of subjectivation it puts in place-- of how individuals are transformed into subjects and as ‘agents of development’, and the ways in which individual rights and ‘rights based development’ function as a form of governmentality, setting in motion new ways of relating to the self and crafting new selfhoods while rendering marginal subjects ever more precarious and exposed to the technologies of developmentalism.
LSE India has recently blogged about this book.
Book review from the European Journal of Women's Studies
Gender, Agency and Coercion (eds) Sumi Madhok, Anne Phillips, Kalpana Wilson (2013)
This collection aims to think critically about agency and explore the relationship between agency and coercion in a range of regional, intellectual, ethical and political contexts. Contributions from Samantha Ashenden, Ngaire Donaghue, Mary Evans, Rosalind Gill, Clare Hemmings, Marsha Henry, Kimberly Hutchings, Emily Jackson, Amal Treacher Kabesh, Lois McNay, Sadie Wearing and Heather Widdows.
Madhok, S. (2019). 'On Reading The Logics of Gender Justice', Social Politics: International Studies in Gender, State & Society, Volume 26, Issue 4, Winter 2019, Pages 503–511
Madhok, S. (2018) .’Coloniality, Political Subjectivation and Gendered Politics of Protest in a ‘State of Exception’, Feminist Review, 119 ( In Press).
Madhok, S. ( 2017). ‘Vernacular Rights Cultures and The Political Imaginaries of Haq’, Humanity: An International Journal of Human Rights, Humanitarianism, and Development. 8.3 Winter 485-509.
- 2016. Madhok, S. ‘Agency and Oppression: Two Views’, in Mary S. Evans ( ed.,) Feminism, Sage Benchmarks in Culture and Society.
- 'From a Politics of Origins to a Politics of Meanings: Developmentalism, gender and rights' in Jay Drydyk and Ashwani Peetush (eds) ‘Human Rights: India and the West’ Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- 'Vernacular Rights Cultures and the "Right to Have 'Rights", Citizenship Studies, With Robin Dunford
- Madhok, Sumi and Evans, Mary (2014) Epistemology and marginality In: Evans, Mary and Hemmings, Clare and Henry, Marsha and Johnstone, Hazel and Madhok, Sumi and Plomien, Ania and Wearing, Sadie, (eds.) The SAGE Handbook of Feminist Theory. SAGE Publications Ltd, London, UK, 1-8. ISBN 9781446252413
- Madhok, Sumi and Unnithan, Maya and Heitmeyer, Carolyn (2014) On reproductive justice: ‘domestic violence’, rights and the law in India Culture, Health & Sexuality, 16 (10). 1231-1244. ISSN 1369-1058
- Evans, Mary and Hemmings, Clare and Henry, Marsha and Johnstone, Hazel and Madhok, Sumi and Plomien, Ania and Wearing, Sadie, eds (2014) Handbook of feminist theory Sage, London, UK. ISBN 9781446252413
- Madhok, Sumi. Action, agency, coercion: reformatting agency for oppressive contexts. In: Madhok, Sumi and Phillips, Anne and Wilson, Kalpana, (eds.) Gender, agency and coercion. Palgrave MacMillan, London, UK. ISBN 9780230300323. In press.
- Madhok. Sumi, Anne Phillips and Kalpana Wilson. ‘Introduction’ and ‘Afterword’ in Gender, Agency and Coercion. Palgrave MacMillan, London, UK. ISBN 9780230300323. In press.
- Madhok, Sumi. ‘Reflexivity’ in Mary Evans and Carolyn Williams (editors), Gender: key Concepts, Routledge. In press.
- Madhok, Sumi and Rai, Shirin, M. Rai. ‘Agency, Injury, and Transgressive Politics in Neoliberal Times’. Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society, 37 (3). pp. 645-669. ISSN 0097-9740
- Madhok, Sumi. "Rights talk" and the feminist movement in India. In: Roces, Mina and Edwards, Louise, (eds.) Women's movements in Asia: feminisms and transnational activism. Routledge, London, UK. ISBN 9780415487030
- Madhok, Sumi. Poverty, entitlement and citizenship: vernacular rights cultures in Southern Asia. In: Chant, Sylvia, (ed.) The international handbook on gender and poverty. Edward Elgar, London, UK. ISBN 978184844334
- Madhok, Sumi. Five notions of Haq: exploring vernacular rights cultures in Southern Asia. New working paper series, 25. Gender Institute, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, UK
- Madhok, Sumi. Autonomy, gendered subordination and transcultural dialogue. Journal of global ethics, 3 (3). pp. 335-357. ISSN 1744-9626
- Madhok, Sumi. Autonomy and human rights. In: Van Den Anker, Christine and Smith, Rhona K., (eds.) The essential guide to human rights. Hodder Arnold, London, UK.
- Madhok, Sumi .Autonomy, political literacy and the "social woman": towards a politics of inclusion. In: Bates, Crispin and Basu, Subho, (eds.) Rethinking Indian political institutions. Anthem, London, UK.
- Madhok, Sumi. Heteronomous women? Hidden assumptions in the demography of women. In: Unnithan-Kumar, Maya, (ed.) Reproductive change, medicine and the state: ethnographic explorations of agency in child bearing. Bergahn Press, Oxford, UK, pp. 223-244.
- Madhok, Sumi. A "limited women’s empowerment": politics, the state, and development in north west India. Women’s studies quarterly, special issue, "Women and development: rethinking policy and reconceptualising practice", 31 (3 & 4). pp. 154-173. ISSN 1934-1520