MPA students benefit from study support sessions to strengthen their analytical, evaluative, writing and presentation skills. The seminars comprise lectures, workshops and practice sessions.
The study support training offered across both years of the MPA programme helps students develop transferable skills that are essential for effective policy analysis and research.
In year one, the Skills Development Seminars (SDS) focus on:
- Academic writing
- Writing policy memos
- Working in groups
- Delivering effective presentations.
In year two, for those choosing to write a Policy Paper or Dissertation support seminars concentrate on:
- Understanding the difference between a Policy Paper and a Dissertation
- Developing research topics and questions
- Structuring and presenting policy analysis
- The MPA assessment requirements for Policy Papers and Dissertations.
The MPA runs two weekly economics study support classes during the main teaching terms focusing on mathematic and statistical foundations, econometrics and data analysis using the Stata software package. These sessions are particularly valuable for students without a quantitative background as they provide an opportunity for individuals to seek help in any areas which they may find challenging.