Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Climate Change Adaptation Plan
The Japanese government’s plan for addressing climate change adaptation in the agriculture, forestry, and fisheries sectors outlines the overarching principles that should be applied to adaptation in these sectors, as well as the risks each sector faces from climate change.
It describes the current and future measures the government plans to implement to adapt each sector to the impacts of climate change. These include:
- Continue supporting research into the impacts of climate change
- Support the development of heat- and disease-resistant plant varieties, including wheat, shiitake, and seaweed
- Support sustainable soil and water management, supporting and educating farmers about crop rotation and management and disaster prevention
- Establish a pest monitoring and forecasting system, promoting afforestation and conservation of wetlands
- Establish more protected forests and biodiversity corridors
- Promote sustainable fish and livestock rearing techniques
- Construct shoreline defenses to protect against sea-level rise and flooding.