Matthew Agarwala is an environmental economist at the LSE, University of Exeter and the University of East Anglia, where he is Senior Post-Doctoral Research Associate.
His primary research interests include: natural capital (NatCap); NatCap accounting; comprehensive wealth; sustainable development; trade and natural resources; food-water-energy nexus; linking natural and economic science research; environmental change and human wellbeing.
Currently, his chief collaborators and projects include Prof. Giles Atkinson (LSE); Prof. Ian Bateman (Exeter), Prof Andrew Lovett (UEA; £2m NERC funded ADVENT project); the EU-FP7 funded Operational Potential of Ecosystem Research Applications (OPERAs) consortium; and the Water Economics, Policy and Governance Network (WEPGN) funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC, Canada).
Previously, Matthew has consulted for the Valuing Nature Network, the Natural Capital Initiative, the World Forum on Natural Capital and UNEP. Matthew’s research on natural capital and carbon accounting, environmental valuation and sustainable development includes contributions to UNEP’s Inclusive Wealth Report (2012), Natural Capital Committee (2014) and NEA-FO (2014). Matthew is co-editor of the Handbook of Sustainable Development (2nd Ed., Edward Elgar, 2014).
Matthew holds combined honours degrees in Economics and Political Science (summa cum laude) and a Masters in Economic Policy from McMaster University. Matthew is pursuing doctoral research under Dr. Giles Atkinson at the London School of Economics.
- Palmer Fry, B., Agarwala, M., Atkinson, G., Clements, T., Homewood, K., Mourato, S., Rowcliffe, M., Wallace, G., Milner-Gulland, E. J. "Monitoring Local Wellbeing in Environmental Interventions: A Consideration of Practical Trade-Offs" Oryx
- Badura, T., Bateman, I., Agarwala, M., Binner, A. (In Press). Valuing ecosystem services preferences for ecosystem related goods and services. In Routledge Handbook on Ecosystem Services. Potschin, M., Haines-Young, R,. Fish, R., and R. K. Turner (eds.) London, UK: Routledge.
- Papers at the revise & resubmit pageBateman, I., Agarwala, M., Binner, A., Coombes, E., Day, B., Ferrini, S., Fezzi, C., et al. “Spatially explicit integrated modeling and economic valuation of climate change induced land use change and its indirect effects” Journal of Environmental Management
Published articles, chapters, etc.
- Agarwala, M., Atkinson, G., Baldock, C., and B. Gardiner. (2014) “Natural Capital Accounting and Climate Change” Nature Clim. Change. 4: 520-522.
- Bateman, I., Agarwala, M., and T. Badura. (2014). Pollinator declines: Avoid pitfalls of consensus methods. Nature, 505(7482), 160-160.
- Milner-Gulland, E.J., McGregor, A., Agarwala, M., Atkinson, G., Bevan, P., Clements, T., Daw, T., et al. (2014). “How can conservationists account for their impact on human well-being?” Conservation Biology. 28(5) : 1160-1166.
- Agarwala, M., Atkinson, G., Palmer Fry, B., Homewood, K., Mourato, S., Rowcliffe, M., Wallace, G., and E.J. Milner-Gulland. (2014). "Assessing the Relationship between Human Wellbeing and Ecosystem Services: A Review of Frameworks" Conservation and Society 12(4) : 437-449.
- Agarwala, M. and J.A. (Tony) Allan. (2014). "Sustainable Development of Water Resources" In Handbook of Sustainable Development, Atkinson, G., Dietz, S., Neumayer, E., and M. Agarwala (eds.), 2nd ed. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Agarwala, M. (2014). "Put your money where your mouth is" The Huffington Post. September 4, 2014.
- Atkinson, G., Dietz, S., Neumayer, E., and M. Agarwala, eds. (2014). Handbook of Sustainable Development. 2nd ed. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Bateman, I., Day, B., Agarwala, M., Bacon, P., Badura, T., Binner, A., De-Gol, A. J., et al. (2014). “UK National Ecosystem Assessment – Follow-On (NEA-FO) Workpackage 3a: Economic value of ecosystem services.” For the UK Department of Environment, Fisheries and Rural Affairs. Cambridge, UK: UNEP-WCMC.
- Dupuy, L., and M. Agarwala. "Trade, Sustainability, and the Environment." (2014). In Handbook of Sustainable Development, Atkinson, G., Dietz, S., Neumayer, E., and M. Agarwala (eds.), 2nd ed. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Kubursi, A., and M. Agarwala. (2013). "Water: Cost" In Encyclopedia of Environmental Management, edited by Sven Erik Jorgensen. Vol. IV, 2801–2811. New York: Taylor and Francis.
- Agarwala, M. (2012). "Mesoscale Climate Impact of Large Water Interventions." In Impact of Climate Change on Water Cycle and Health. Grover, V. (ed). Enfield, New Hampshire, USA: Science Publishers.
- Agarwala, M. and A. Kubursi. (2012). "The Economics of Climate Change: Alternative Approaches" In Impact of Climate Change on Water Cycle and Health, edited by Velma I. Grover. Enfield, NH USA: Science Publishers.
- Atkinson, G., Agarwala, M., and P. Muñoz. (2012). "Are national economies (virtually) sustainable?: an empirical analysis of natural assets in international trade." In Inclusive Wealth Report 2012 Measuring Progress Toward Sustainability, eds. Partha Dasgupta, Anantha Duraiappah and Pablo Muñoz. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 87-117