LSE is one of the world’s leading social science universities. We have committed to a strategy that will build on our strengths, address challenges and maintain our worldwide reputation for excellence.
We have already achieved many of the goals set out in our 2014 review, including:
- Strengthening our faculty, which has resulted in remarkable success in the Research Excellence Framework and major improvements in most research-based and reputational rankings.
- Investing in our LSE Careers service for LSE alumni.
- Opening a new PhD Academy to nurture the next generation of leaders.
- Launching four new institutes, including The Marshall Institute for Philanthropy and Social Entrepreneurship and The International Inequalities Institute.
- Starting a major redevelopment of our campus, featuring a state-of-the-art 13 storey building overlooking a new public square.
- We have not been standing still. But rapid changes are taking place in higher education, and we need to change accordingly.
Priorities for the future
The LSE’s future depends on enhancing our quality, our innovation, and our intellectual distinctiveness as a leading institution for social science.
Our 2020 Strategy sets out a roadmap for how we intend to meet these challenges.
Our strategic priorities are to:
We will lead in the provision of excellent disciplinary and interdisciplinary education. See our Education Strategy for details.
2. Strengthening and supporting faculty and staff
We will continually improve faculty quality, research performance and intellectual innovation and enhance the quality of our professional service staff.
3. Equity, diversity and inclusion
We will strengthen our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and take relevant action throughout the institution.
4. Leading globally in social science
We will lead – and continue to be recognised as leaders – in innovative, international, interdisciplinary and issue-oriented social science.
5. Diversifying our revenue streams
We will enhance and diversify our revenue streams.
6. Developing our campus
We will secure an estate and other facilities commensurate with our standing and aspirations.